<div>Allegations of $10,000 in massages, $361 steaks in network’s bid to woo Lehrmann</div>

Allegations of $10,000 in massages, $361 steaks in network’s bid to woo Lehrmann

Share this post
Listen to this article

The I’s were dotted, the T’s crossed and it sat in a judge’s office waiting to be read out on Thursday.

But the high-stakes judgment in Bruce Lehrmann’s lawsuit against Network Ten won’t see the light of day just yet after an extraordinary bid to reopen the defamation case on eve of its ultimate ruling.

Federal Court Justice Michael Lee on Tuesday night accepted Ten’s last-minute bid to admit fresh evidence.

READ MORE: Sparks fly as plane makes emergency landing at airport

Ten’s lawyers allege the evidence suggests Mr Lehrmann, a former political staffer, abused a court process concerning text messages of Brittany Higgins, who he denies raping in a Parliament House office in 2019.

Justice Lee said the evidence could change the determination of the case and agreed with Ten that it went further than drawing Lehrmann’s credibility into question.

“This is clearly fresh evidence,” Justice Lee said.

READ MORE: Albanese seeks meeting with Netanyahu over aid worker deaths in Gaza

Bruce Lehrmann arrives at the Federal Court of Sydney.

The reopening of the case means the parties will return on Thursday and Friday to hear from new witness and former television producer Taylor Auerbach.

READ ALSO  How to use your Mac screen inside the Apple Vision Pro

Auerbach is due to tell how he came into possession of text messages between Higgins and her former boyfriend, provided in another court case involving Lehrmann.

In two affidavits, Auerbach claims Lehrmann received a number of perks from the network in a bid to win the interview, including more than $10,000 on massages, a round of golf and several meals including one where a $361 steak was ordered.

Auerbach’s claims are yet to be tested in court. Seven has denied the allegations.

“The claims in the affidavits are being presented unchallenged,” a Seven Network spokesperson said.

“Seven has never revealed its source or sources and has no intention of doing so. Seven notes Mr Lehrmann’s court testimony last year that he was not the source. Furthermore, Seven did not condone or authorise the alleged payments to Mr Lehrmann referred to in the affidavits.

“As has been previously reported, the person involved admitted to the misuse of a Seven corporate card and all unauthorised expenses were immediately reimbursed. Seven notes that these proceedings remain before the court.”

READ ALSO 
Horror moment mother & son killer whales team up to drown rival’s baby orca in rare attack NEVER filmed before

The producer had worked to secure an exclusive interview with Mr Lehrmann for network rival Seven in 2023, later revealed in court to have involved a $100,000 payment for rent in Sydney.

The producer had worked to secure an exclusive interview with Lehrmann for network rival Seven in 2023, later revealed in court to have involved a $100,000 in-kind payment.

READ MORE: Father dies after fire tears through his home, north of Perth

Brittany Higgins.

Ten’s barrister, Dr Matthew Collins KC, on Tuesday suggested the “deeply personal exchanges” were provided by Lehrmann in breach of a longstanding legal rule known as the Harman undertaking.

That requires material provided under compulsory court order to only be used for the purpose for which it was provided.

Lehrmann, through his lawyer, urged Justice Lee to dismiss the last-minute application.

“This stuff is trivial, it’s just not relevant and to give leave to reopen on that sort of material would be inappropriate,” Matthew Richardson SC said.

READ ALSO  Seven West Media CEO James Warburton Makes Immediate Exit Following Scandal

Justice Lee, who quipped during Tuesday’s urgent hearing that he thought he’d finished his work on this case last week, will hear the evidence from Thursday afternoon.

He remained hopeful of delivering his judgment next week but would confirm on Monday, he said.

The last-minute hearing came after Ten filed its bid to reopen the case on Easter Sunday.

The case, brought by Lehrmann, concerns a February 2021 report by journalist Lisa Wilkinson on The Project where Higgins was interviewed about her alleged rape in a Parliament House office in Canberra in March 2019.

Lehrmann is seeking extensive damages, saying those reports have destroyed his reputation.

Go to Source

Leave Your Comment