Israel rescues two October 7 hostages after 128 days in captivity as commandos launch daring night raid on Rafah

Israel rescues two October 7 hostages after 128 days in captivity as commandos launch daring night raid on Rafah

Share this post

ISRAELI forces rescued two hostages being kept by Hamas in the Gazan city of Rafah during a daring overnight raid.

The IDF revealed that Fernando Simon Marman, 60, and Norberto Louis Har, 70, were brought safely home after more than four months in the terror group’s captivity.

Fernando Simon Marman, one of the rescued Israeli hostages
Reuters
Reuters

Norberto Louis Har, 70, also rescued on Monday[/caption]

Reuters

The site of Israeli strikes in Rafah, Gaza[/caption]

The pair were rescued from Rafah where they were reportedly being kept in an apartment guarded by Hamas gunmen.

Israeli troops broke into the flat just before 2am local time on Monday as airstrikes pummelled the surrounding areas.

IDF spokesperson Daniel Hagari claimed that the rescue team shielded Marman and Har with their own bodies during the intense fighting.

The men, who were held for 128 days, were then taken to shelter where they were checked by doctors and airlifted to a hospital in Israel.

Hagari said troops carried out the “complex rescue operation” under the cover of night after waiting for the right conditions.

READ ALSO 
Angels' Anthony Rendon saying baseball was not a top priority was 'tone-deaf,' Craig Carton says

He added: “The troops pulled Louis and Fernando out of the apartment and rescued them under fire, until they reached the safe zone.

“It was a very tense and very touching night. Such an operation was made possible thanks to the great sacrifice of the standing army and reserve troops who fell and were injured in the battles.

“Without their sacrifice, we would not have reached this moment.”

Both men were reported to be in good medical condition.

The Israeli operation in Rafah has been met with widespread international criticism as most of the Gaza Strip has now been obliterated as a result of the gruelling war.

And almost 1.5 million Palestinian civilians have fled there to escape the bloodshed.

But Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to crush the “last bastion” of Hamas which he says is hiding in the southern Gazan enclave.

He insisted that the “final terrorist holdout” is an essential part of the four-month-old battle against Hamas.

READ ALSO 
'True Detective: Night Country': What's the deal with the spirals?

“Victory is within reach. We’re going to do it. We’re going to get the remaining Hamas terrorist battalions and Rafah, which is the last bastion,” he said.

Dozens of them, including children, have already been killed as a result of Israeli strikes on the city.

Haunting images show the city in ruins as flames burn in the rubble and emergency workers fight to extinguish them.

Hospital officials in Rafah have claimed that at least 50 Palestinians have been killed in the strikes so far – but this figure is unverified.

Since Hamas’ brutal attack in Israel on October 7, Gaza’s Health Ministry claims over 28,000 Palestinian people have died.

UN figures estimate the number to be around the same including almost 70,000 who are injured.

The international agency also thinks over 7,000 people are dead and buried underneath the rubble in Gaza – making the real death toll over 100,000.

When Hamas attacked Israel on October 7, they killed around 1,200 people and kidnapped 250 others.

READ ALSO  Nigerian digital bank FairMoney in talks to buy Umba in $20M all-stock deal, sources say

Over 100 of those hostages were freed during the only brief ceasefire in November, and Israel says over 100 remain in captivity.

Some of the remaining hostages are thought to be dead – three were tragically killed by Israel’s own soldiers after escaping Hamas terrorists in December.

Getty

Injured Palestinians, including children, flock to a Kuwait hospital following Israeli attacks on Rafah City today[/caption]

Reuters

Aftermath of an Israeli strike on a house in Rafah[/caption]

A firefighter extinguishes a burning car hit by an Israeli strike, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, February 10, 2024. REUTERS/Bassam Masoud
A firefighter extinguishes a burning car hit by an early Israeli strike in Rafah
Reuters

More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online.

Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.

Go to Source

Leave Your Comment

Newsbreakforum