Woman forced to wait almost 10 hours at Adelaide hospital amid crisis

Woman forced to wait almost 10 hours at Adelaide hospital amid crisis

Share this post
Listen to this article

An 84-year-old woman has been forced to wait almost 10 hours at an Adelaide hospital as the city keeps elective surgeries on hold amid a capacity crisis.

The woman was pictured lying on a row of seats inside the Lyell McEwin Hospital on Wednesday.

Deputy Opposition Leader John Gardner claimed she had been suffering significant flu symptoms.

READ MORE: Grandmother battling flesh-eating ulcer in Melbourne hospital

An 84-year-old woman has allegedly been forced to wait almost 10 hours at a hospital in Adelaide as the city keeps elective surgeries on hold.

“At one stage coughing so uncontrollably that she nearly lost consciousness,” he said.

READ ALSO  The government is now monitoring online stores in games like Roblox and Fortnite for their 'buyer beware' approach

Health Minister Chris Picton was unable to verify the claim but admitted the wait times were too long.

“We know that our hospitals are busy and that’s why we need additional beds and that’s what we’re delivering,” he said.

Adelaide’s hospitals have been under “code yellow” for eight consecutive days as they remain at capacity.

The internal emergency has resulted in 458 elective surgeries cancelled.

“We’ve continued to have every bed we’ve had available full and on numbers of days we’ve had our intensive care units full or overfull,” SA Health chief Robyn Lawrence said.

READ ALSO  Australian tech rich-listers make shock career move

READ MORE: Adelaide man charged with rape of teenage girl

An 84-year-old woman has allegedly been forced to wait almost 10 hours at a hospital in Adelaide as the city keeps elective surgeries on hold.

To make matters more dire, a wave of COVID-19 and the flu have forced 278 unimmunised health staff to call in sick.

Elective surgeries resumed today in regional hospitals but restrictions will remain in place for the rest of Adelaide until at least Tuesday.

Lawrence assured those who had their elective surgeries cancelled that they won’t lose their spot on the wait list.

READ ALSO  Major Update for iPhone Users: Siri to Gain Advanced Email and AI Features

Authorities have blamed the city’s health crisis on the federal government after yesterday’s state budget delivered a record $2.5 billion investment into health.

“States around the country are being caught in the middle in this squeeze, of a failure of other service delivery, particularly by the Commonwealth,” Treasurer Stephen Mullighan said.

Go to Source

Leave Your Comment